Do you know that making a rat hammock is a good way to treat your rat, by way of ensuring them a more suitable sleeping environment and position?
Hammocks can be considered for rats, as well, just as human beings enjoy sleeping on a hammock, Rats too, love sleeping on a hammock, therefore, it will be a perfect way, to consider making a hammock for your rat.
Materials Needed to Make a Rat Hammock
When considering making a rat hammock, there are several materials you will need to hang a rat hammock successfully, the following are the material, and how they are helpful in the process:
- Scissors: The scissor will be used to make the cutting of the fabric
- Thread for a sewing machine: The Thread will be used for the sewing machine. Threads are necessary for every sewing machine.
- Sewing Machine: A sewing machine helps to easily make the sewing of fabric, tightly.
- Ruler for making accurate measurements (Optional): A ruler will play a good role in making accurate measurements, well, this could be optional.
- 4 Square fabric: A 4-square fabric is vital.
- Pins: For pining the sides of the fabric
- Grommets: Groomers are used for hanging your hammock on the Rat cage.
How to Make a Rat Hammock?
Once you can get the aforementioned materials ready for the process, then, you can consider the following steps to successfully make a rat hammock, for your rat.
- Cut Your Fabric
- Pin the sides of the fabric for easier sewing
- Draw a hole where you want the hiding hole to be
- Sew around the little hide which you have drawn
- Cut the Circle out of the fabric
- Place the other cotton piece on top of it
- Sew all pieces together
- Pull the Fabric right outside
- Add Grommets to the four sides of the hammock
- Hang Hammock and Add Rat
- Step 1: Cut Your Fabric
This is the first thing you need to do, you have already cut your fabric, then, you do not need to consider this step any longer, but if you are yet, then, you can consider using the scissors and the ruler to do this.
As I said, the ruler is optional, but if you are not good at making accurate measurements, then, you may want to consider using a ruler. You will be using 4 total fabrics, therefore, while cutting the fabric, you must ensure to cut it in four pieces.
- Step 2: Pin the sides of the fabric for easier sewing
Once you have been able to cut the fabric, then you can consider pining the sides of the fabrics, to make sewing easy. Sewing will get difficult if the sides are not pinned.
You don’t necessarily have to pin all sides of the fabrics, but just the sides will be okay.
- Step 3: Draw a hole where you want the hiding hole to be
Use a round object and a marker, to draw the hiding hole, ensure to do this ate the negative side, this is to serve as a guideline and nothing much.
From the image above, you could figure out the object I have used, the view is this:
- Step 4: Sew around the little hide which you have drawn
The next action needed to do is to sew round the circle which you have drawn earlier. In this process, you will be using the Sewing machine to do this, ensure you already have your thread in your sewing machine before doing this.
This may be the most difficult part and must be done carefully to avoid any form of errors, once you have been able to successfully sew the clothes, then, it should look like this:
The above image shows how your fabric will look after sewing it.
- Step 5: Cut the Circle out of the fabric
The next thing to do is to consider cutting out the circle shape from the fabric, you will be using a scissor to do this.
When you are done doing that, then, this is how it will look:
Then, turn it, by making it face the right place, this can be done by inserting it through the circle, once that is done, then, it will look like this:
- Step 6: Place the other cotton piece on top of it
Now, you should have the circle ready, the next step you will need to consider is placing the other cotton on top of this.
It should be placed right on top, make sure the wide sides are placed together. Place the other piece of the fabric on top too.
Then, Pen all four pieces together, using the pin, as stated in step 2.
- Step 7: Sew all pieces together
The next step to consider is sewing all the four-piece of fabrics together, using the sewing machine.
This time you will be sewing all four sides across, once the sewing is done, the next step you will need to consider is cutting all extra fabrics across the sewing line.
- Step 8: Pull the Fabric right outside
Using the circle you cut earlier, you will have to consider pulling the fabric outside.
- Step 9: Add Grommets to the four sides of the hammock
Grommets can be used to give strength and hangability to the hammock, however, to do this, you will have to consider placing grommets on the four sides of the fabric.
As I said, do the same for all four sides of the hammock.
- Step 10: Hang Hammock and Add Rat
This is how your hammock will look, after hanging it, now you can put your rats into it. Therefore, this is just how you can make a hammock rat yourself, the steps are quick and easy to follow.
Video Guide 👇👇👇👇
Do Rats Need Hammock?
Hammocks are good options for only human beings? Of course, this is a wrong assertion. Rats too love hammocks, just as you love hammocks. They too always want to have the feelings you derived, while using a hammock.
Therefore, a quick answer is, Rats need Hammock they love, and sleeping on hammocks since it is way high than the rat nets.
Where Do You Put a Rat HammocK?
You might be wondering about the best place to hang a rat hammock. Rat hammocks are not just kept in a guess place, but rather are kept in Rat Cages.
Rat Cages are the original house for rats, when trying to breed rats, you have to consider having a rat cage. Therefore, in answering the question, of where to put a rat Hammock, then, the best answer is, to place them in the Rat Cage.
What Are Rat Hammocks Made Off?
When trying to make a rat Hammock, you might be wondering what it is made of, in terms of, the resources needed, to make a Rat Hammock.
Therefore, a rat hammock is made up of, woven cotton or flannel piece and a fleece piece.
By now, you should have an understanding of how you can easily make a hammock, for your rat, by following just a few easy and quick steps, which I have mentioned in this article.
Rats love hammocks, and therefore, you must ensure to provide your rat(s) with a hammock, so they can as well have feelings derived from hammocks.